Cardinals catcher Yadier Molina has been named a 2018 Rawlings Gold Glove Award winner. The award is Molina’s ninth career honor, and first since 2015. With 121 games behind the plate in 2018, Molina posted a .998 fielding percentage while allowing just 27 stolen bases with a 31% caught-stealing rate.
Molina’s ninth Gold Glove Award moves him closer to prestigious catching company. The only catchers in MLB history that have won the award more times than Molina are Hall of Famers Ivan Rodriguez (13) and Johnny Bench (10). He also moves into a tie with Bob Gibson for the second-most Gold Glove Awards for a Cardinals player. Ozzie Smith’s mark of 11 remains the franchise record.
Given out since 1957, the Rawlings Gold Glove honors the best defenders at each position in each league. Major League managers and coaches, voting only within their league and unable to vote for players on their own teams, account for 75 percent of the selection process. The other 25 percent goes to the sabermetrics community. Since 1958, separate AL and NL Gold Gloves have been awarded.