Saint Louis 12, Akron 2 (5 innings)
Sunday, March 11, 2018
• Saint Louis hit four home runs and produced a season-high run total in a 12-2 victory over Akron Sunday morning on the final day of the Eastern Kentucky Invitational.
• The Billikens, who posted a 4-1 tournament record, improved to 10-9 on the season.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Sadie Wise hit the first of her two home runs, a two-run shot, to put Saint Louis on top 2-0 in the bottom of the first inning.
• Akron plated a run in the top of the third.
• Wise made it a 3-1 Billiken advantage with a leadoff home run in the bottom of the third, her team-leading fifth homer of the season.
• SLU broke it open with a nine-run fourth inning. Lauren Lomax drew a bases-loaded walk, Kat Lane rapped an RBI single, and Wise registered another RBI while reaching on an error. Allie Macfarlane launched her fourth career grand slam (second home run of the season), and Mackenzie Lawson smacked her first round-tripper of the year, a two-run blast, to make it 12-1.
• Akron tallied once in the fifth, but it wasn’t enough to keep Saint Louis from a run-rule victory.
• Winning pitcher Maddie Baalman (6-5) went the distance in the circle. Baalman yielded just three hits and a walk while striking out two.
• Lane joined Wise in the two-hit column.
• Alyssa Chavez, Kaylea Chappelle and Maria Connell had a single apiece.
The Billikens compete in their final regular-season tournament, Kansas’ Rock Chalk Challenge, Friday–Sunday, March 16-18. SLU takes on Western Illinois, UMKC, Kansas, Murray State and Northern Colorado.