The offseason is almost over, but there are still players that remain on the Free Agent Market. Most people would tell you that Dexter Fowler and Ian Desmond are the only good offensive Free Agents available, but really, who else is still out there? Below are a few of the remaining Free Agents that could help the Cardinals add a little pop from the bench, including Dexter Fowler and Ian Desmond.
1. Ian Desmond – Desmond is known mostly for his power, but he also has really good defense. His price has probably went down quite a bit from the start of the offseason, but he still won’t be super cheap. Adding a guy like Desmond to your team, would help you out in numerous ways. Not only does he bring 7yrs of experience, but he also brings the all-around ability to play the game of baseball.
Is he a fit? As a fan of the Cardinals I would love to see Desmond in a Birds on the Bat uniform, but, he would have to be willing to not play everyday. ( I do not see Peralta or Desmond being alright to play every other day ) The Cardinals already have a good shortstop in Johnny Peralta, who has 2yrs remaining on his contract. Unless they feel like Peralta could find a place to play in the outfield, I really don’t see Desmond coming to St.Louis. They could always trade Peralta, but the chances of that are probably slim to none.
2. Dexter Fowler – Fowler isn’t known for loads of power, but he doesn’t have a terrible bat. Adding Fowler to the Cardinals, I think is perfect. The Cardinals could move Fowler to center, Grichuk to right, Piscotty to first base, and trade away Matt Adams, as well as keep Holliday in left, and have Moss play first with Piscotty and backup in left for Holliday. I think adding a center fielder is exactly what the Cardinals need. Fowler brings 8yrs of experience and really good defense with an alright bat.
Is he a fit? Yes, he is exactly what the Cardinals need.
3. Pedro Alvarez – Alvarez is mostly known as the “Cardinal Killer”, and for his really good power and not so good defense. I think Alvarez is a good fit if they trade away Adams, and Pedro is okay coming off of the bench. The Cardinals WILL NOT sign Alvarez to play as an everyday first baseman, because of his defense.
Is he a fit? I think Alvarez is more likely to sign with an American League team, because he is better off as a DH, but, if he is alright coming off the bench, he is a great fit. If the Cardinals feel like the DH is coming to the NL in 2017, then I think it makes this signing more likely to happen, because he is a perfect DH.
4. David Freese – Well, I think we all know what Freese is known for. David Freese is known for his Walk-Off home run, in Game 6 of the 2011 World Series. I think Cardinals fans would love to see David back in St.Louis. David has a pretty good bat, he just doesn’t have a whole lot of power.
Is he a fit? If David doesn’t mind playing off the bench, I think he is a great fit. I think David loved playing in St.Louis, and would love to come back. However, any player would rather start, so, if he feels like he has more playing time somewhere else, he will likely go there. No part of my mind thinks that John Mozeliak hasn’t thought about bringing David back, I think we would all like to see it.
5. David Murphy – I personally, am a huge fan of David Murphy. Not because he is some sort of superstar, but because he is an all-around good player. David has really good defense, with an alright bat. Adding Murphy would bring another veteran backup piece to the roster.
Is he a fit? I really don’t think the Cardinals will add Murphy, because of the outfield depth they already have. But, if they wanted to add a cheap outfielder, that can do almost anything, than David is the guy.
Let me know which player you think is a better fit for the Cardinals.
Thanks for reading.
Follow me on Twitter @easton_leonard.