Week 1 saw some huge upsets, but the familiar teams remain on top.
- New England Patriots (1-0) Love them or hate them (Guessing most of you hate them) they are the best team in the NFL today. Cheating scandals aside, the Patriots picked up right where they left off beating the Steelers 28-21 and the score would make you think this game was closer than it really was. From the opening drive the Patriots had the Steelers number and never let them get close enough to overtake them.
- Cincinnati Bengals (1-0) I have no problem arguing the Bengals as one of the best regular season teams since Andy Dalton took the helm. Sure it was just the Raiders who they were playing against and an injured QB but that is no reason their decisive victory should be looked at as less of a win. And while it may be only week 1, they are atop the division.
- Green Bay Packers(1-0) For the last few years, Packers/Bears have been one of the hottest rivalries in sports. The Bears have kind of fallen to the wayside as of late but going into Chicago and coming away with a win is a huge way to start the season. Aaron Rodgers threw three touchdowns and only five incompletions to continue to cement his name on the “elite” QB list.
- Denver Broncos(1-0) Both Broncos and Ravens scored less than 20 points just like everyone predicted as their stellar defenses have…wait. That isn’t right. Probably one of the more shocking games this week because of how both QBs struggled. It may be too early to call this the decline of Peyton Manning but the pick six he threw looked like he was trying to force the ball into a place it did not belong. When these two teams play, you know you are going to get a good game as they push each other to the limit.
- Kansas City Chiefs(1-0) The Chiefs seemingly get passed over when discussing the best teams in the league. They lack the star power of a big name QB or a secondary making the headlines with his quotes, but as a team they get the job done week in and week out. If they can really stick it to the Broncos, the AFC West may be the Chiefs division to lose.
- San Francisco 49ers(1-0) Colin Kaepernick looked like a field general again after having a couple seasons of trying play the “traditional QB” he was allowed to scramble to make plays happen. Despite all of the off the field issues, the 49ers stuffed the Vikings offense which includes a returning Adrian Peterson who only gained 31 yards on the ground. Compare that to Carlos Hyde who got the start for the first time in his career who rushed for 168 yards and two scores. The only question becomes did the 49ers came together, or are the Vikings falling apart?
- Dallas Cowboys(1-0)- Down by ten with 8 minutes to go, Tony Romo proved once again why he is one of the best regular season quarter backs in the league today, he capitalized on the mistakes the Giants made and put together a near perfect two minute drill to throw a touchdown to Jason Witten in the last eight seconds. The Cowboys have some of the most talented players in the NFL who know how to come together as a team, and that is why they have been so good in the last few years.
- St. Louis Rams(1-0)-Everybody knows that the Rams were going to play the Seahawks tough but I would be hard pressed to find a fan who would actually pick them to win. Sure we thought maybe possibly it could happen but who really had them to win in any of their pick’em challenges? It was an amazing game that had highs and lows for both teams, great back and forth action and even a two minute drill from the new face of the Rams. It will take a few games to decide if this team is for real, but this give St. Louis fans a glimmer of hope the playoff drought is over.
- Buffalo Bills (1-0)The Bills had the most shocking win of the week upsetting the Colts by using a hard hitting defense to stop a power house offense from getting moving. The jury is still out whether Tyrod Taylor the superstar of tomorrow but you have to give it to him, he didn’t crack under pressure and kept his team out of reach from Andrew Luck who knows how to win when playing from behind.
- Atlanta Falcons (1-0) The Falcons almost blew a 17 point lead in the second half but were able to retake the lead in the final minutes of the game is why they close out the top ten teams in the NFL. Same Bradford was also shut down in four downs to squander any hope the Eagles had of finishing of a huge come back on prime time.
Photo: Ezra Shaw/Getty Images North America