Arch City will begin weekly Power Rankings with Sunday Night/Monday Morning being the time to release the rankings. We will do a Top 10 and a couple Honorable Mention teams. The teams will be judged based off current hot streaks, overall standings accomplishments and the opponents that they play. In the coming weeks there will be parenthesis around teams for the ranking from the week before.
Fire away at us on Facebook or Twitter!
10. Oakland A’s – While the A’s have a record under .500 for the time being, they have an outstanding +24 run differential. The AL West has been tight through the first two weeks of the season. Yet Oakland has been playing mostly divisional opponents, they have yet to separate themselves.
9. Boston Red Sox – The Sox won their first three series against the Phillies, Yankees and Nationals. They have lost 2 of 3 against the Orioles. They have been one of the better offensive teams in the league, but their pitching has been lackluster.
8. Baltimore Orioles- The Orioles have enjoyed a hot start by Adam Jones, he leads them in every offensive category, and have a +8 run differential. They have won 2 straight against the Red Sox.
7. Atlanta Braves – The Braves enjoyed a hot start, winning their first 5 games unexpectedly. They are 8-4 and while their offense has showed up enough, it will be their pitching that carries the team.
6. San Diego Padres – The Padres are all in this season, after starting the year off 1-4 they now sit at 8-5. They took series from Arizona, San Francisco and the Cubs and trail only the Dodgers in the NL West, which should be a good race.
5. Kansas City Royals – The Royals started the year off to an amazing 7-0 tune but are now 9-3. The bullpen is still solid and the offense is very improved. They did lose 2 of 3 games to the Twins but they have an outstanding run differential of +28, the second best in the baseball
4. St. Louis Cardinals– The Cardinals had an outstanding week of baseball, winning 5 straight games to improve to 8-3, sitting atop the NL Central. In this 5 game winning streak they have outscored their opponents 21-6. The pitching has been incredible, John Lackey’s 2.77 ERA is the worst in the rotation. The team ERA is a 1.91.
3. Los Angeles Dodgers – The Dodgers have won 7 straight games and are atop the NL West. They have a +17 run differential and will be in a tough fight with the Padres for the top spot.
2. New York Mets – The Mets are riding an 8 game winning streak and now sit on top of the NL East. They have a +16 run differential and are 10-3 overall. Matt Harvey has looked fantastic and is 3-0 on the season.
1. Detroit Tigers – The Tigers are 10-2 and have the best run differential in baseball at +33. Miguel Cabrera has 20 hits, J.D. Martinez has 5 home runs and the usual weak hitting Jose Igelsias is hitting .436. Shane Greene and David Price have been outstanding and Joakim Soria has shut the door.
Honorable Mention –
Washington Nationals – After a terrible start they have won 4 out of their last 5. They have been crushed by injuries, but guys are coming back. With all the talent, they should come roaring back.
Pittsburgh Pirates – After a slow, 0-3 start the club is now 6-6 with a +9 run differential. They played a close series against Detroit.