Write down this date: May 22, 2014. Why? The Cards got their first sweep of the 2014 season against the Arizona Diamondbacks! Raise your hand if you thought THAT was going to happen in the top of the first. Yeah, me neither.
Things are looking up in Cardinal-land. After a pretty dismal (for the boys) beginning of the season, a couple of times going one game below the .500 mark, the Cardinals went 7-2 to wrap up a 9-game home stand. There were many good things that happened during that home stand. They just look like they’re getting better and better. Good things? Great things, in all three games against the Diamondbacks:
* Adam Wainwright keeping up his stellar pitching season by throwing a 1-hit complete game shut out.
* Homeruns by Matt Adams (3) and Jhonny Peralta (9).
* 5 runs scored on Arroyo.
* Strong 6-inning start by Wacha, who survived a foul ball with his name on it while chilling in the dugout (only a slight contusion; he’s still on schedule for his next starting appearance).
* Motte is back! (YAY!) And still as feisty as ever!
* Fantastic extra inning win….which may have had an uneventful finale, but a win is a win.
* Lance Lynn started off…um….not so fabulous, but only allowed 2 runs in the first inning. He shut out the Diamondbacks for the next 5 innings he pitched. He picked himself back up after that rocky start.
* Shane Robinson is back! With authority and a couple of 2 out RBIs in the 6th to tie the game at 2!
* Rosenthal helped me out by keeping my just polished nails still intact….otherwise known as, he did not make me sweat out the top of the 9th.
This sweep may very well be just what the doctor ordered for these guys. Improving with some movements with AAA ball and coming back, they are beginning to show what they’re made of. Now, to keep up the momentum to Cincinnati, then back to Busch starting next week with series against the Yankees, Giants, and Royals. Then, a small road trip across the state to Kansas City. Things are looking up, Cardinal fans!
Plus, did I mention MOTTE IS BACK?!
As always, GO CARDS!
Photo credit: stltoday.com